Thursday, January 3, 2013

Warm thoughts from a chilly run

Last night's 3-mile training run was by far the coldest yet (about 20 degrees, maybe less), and the most treacherous, since we've received about a foot and a half of snow in the past couple weeks.  The sidewalks were a minefield of snow, ice, and a combo of the two in some spots.  (Unfortunately, my Chief Running Buddy suffered an ankle twist with about a mile to go - a direct result of the sidewalk conditions.  I foresee a Yaktrax purchase in our very near future!)

As we ran last night, clothing layered and headlamps on, I kept thinking about training for the marathon. I have been battling some hip and back pain, but as we ran last night, I felt great. Exhilarated, even. The day before, I ran in my first 10k race ever.  Yeah, I know, seems weird, since I have run so many 5ks, 5-milers, and four half marathons.  The 10k race distance is one that had eluded my schedule until now.  I kept visualizing myself running in Boston, right on Hereford, left on Boylston.... I have a long way to go before April 15, but a training run like last night helps me believe that I CAN do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment